Counselor's Corner » Homeless Services

Homeless Services

Who is Homeless?

Anyone who, due to a lack of housing, lives:

  • In an emergency or transitional shelters
  • In motels, hotels, campgrounds, abandoned in hospitals, or awaiting foster care
  • In cars, parks, public places, bus or train stations, or abandoned buildings
  • Doubled up with relatives or friends
  • Migratory children living in these conditions



Homeless children have rights. 

  • Homeless children have a right to attend school.
  • You do not need a permanent address to enroll your child in school.
  • Homeless children have the right to stay in their home school if the parents choose.
  • Your child cannot be denied school enrollment just because school records or other enrollment documentation are not immediately available.
  • Your child has the opportunity to receive transportation services to and from the school of origin.
  • Your child has the right to participate in extracurricular activities and all federal, state, or local programs for which he/she is eligible.
  • Children with special education needs between the ages of 3 and 21 are eligible to receive special needs services. If you believe your child may be eligible, contact your school counselor's office.


Tips and Resources

What your family can do before you move:

  1. Tell your child's teacher and principal that your child is moving, and give them your new address.
  2. Let school officials know if you want your child to stay in his/her home school while you are getting the family stabilized.
  3. Ask for a copy of your child's school records, including immunizations.
  4. Provide your child with an opportunity to say goodbye to friends.

Tips and resources:

  • Keep a copy of birth certificates and school records accessible.
  • Safeguard all health and immunization records.
  • Have a reliable person keep a second copy of birth certificates, school records, and health information.
  • Enroll children in school as soon as possible.
  • Inform your new school about any special education records that pertain to your child.